I was tempted to write an article about new year’s intentions, life after Veganuary or dry January…but I thought it would be more useful to write about something that we can subtly or easily shift, like including MORE of a type of food.
I chose mushrooms while I was choosing some recipes for a client from my new ebook, 21 Day Vegan Reboot Food Plan (£29 if you want to buy it!). Mushrooms are a closet and humble superfood!
Here are just a few health benefits of mushrooms (specific amount depends on variety):
- Contain protein and B vitamins for energy!
- Fibre for feeling full and weight loss
- High in antioxidants such as selenium and Vitamin C
- Also support the immune system through their containing polysaccharides, beta glucans which both support and modulate the immune system
- Contain vitamin D (rare for a non-animal source), helping with the absorption of calcium and phosphorous for bone health
- Good for gut health by acting as prebiotics, helping beneficial gut bacteria to grow
- Help to lower cholesterol
- There are specific medicinal varieties too, which I have been using more in my clinic – Reishi for example is an adaptogen which helps to manage the stress hormone, cortisol.
- White mushrooms (that you find in the supermarket) are still great! Include them alongside a varied and colourful diet.